9.05.2008

08.31.08 - 9.2.08








Pen and Paper






08/31/2008 - Nerves are raw. Eyes quick to tear. Sunday we march with vets. Stood eye to with the armed-to-the-hilt rent - a - cops.

Marches across the 'approved' zone into unknown and illegal territory. Why? As the chant says - 'Our streets, Their war'...
March #1 - Colonel Ann Wright held our huge US flag and marched into the danger zone with us. Democracy Now's Jeremy Scahill asked us why. Carlos' response: "It's my obligation as a father to honor my son; it's my obligation as a citizen to speak out". I stated that "flag is colored red to remember the troops of paid the ultimate sacrifice for this nation. This includes Alex. Yet, Alex and others did not spill his blood to become a part of a presidential political platform and justification for continues killing".


Then we went for lunch with MFSO-Minnesota. Here's a snapspot....
















March #2 - 09/01/2008 - We report to duty at 0730 hours in front of the St. Paul Capitol to march side-by-side with IVAW. This march is smaller but more significant. They will deliver their message to the Republican National Convention. No arrest. Mission accomplished. Then IVAW does something Carlos and I do not xpect. They unite in saluting Lcpl. Alexander Scott Arredondo. I have tears in my eyes. We are both extremly grateful. Carlos runs with the large American flag to be with IVAW where some press have convented. Tom Swann, a blind US Marine vet, Ian LaValle and Jabbar McGruder aid me in rolling the memorial back to the capitol.


March #3 - Still 09/01/2008 - Yes, two marches in one day. My feet hurt, I'm hungry but here we go. Between the marches, the press surround like bees to honey. Here are some pictures.




















Carlos and the Memorial, Juan Torres and I are in the front of the line. VFP / IVAW are behind us. We are surrounded by media. When we return from Excel Center, we see the view of people. This is not a small march. There are 30 - 40,000 people marching! What a site.
At this point, I must acknowledge Pat and Jenny who housed both Carlos and me in Minneapolis. What wonderful souls. They took us in the first day we arrived at VFP convention where they were volunteering. So, as soon as the convention was done, we had housing. We had not planned on staying this long. Therefore, it was a pleasant bit of home provided by strangers who took us in as family members.

They sent us fed with breakfast in our bellies, with coffee in a thermos each day, freshly backed cookies and even sandwiches. Then we would head back to their home for a nice dinner.

God has a place for people such as these called heaven.

09.03.2008 - March #4 - My feet are begging for mercy. I'm tired despire sleeping in this a.m. I'm hungry even if I've eaten. These are my nerves talking to me and trying to take me down.

Carlos is also anxious. The conflicts in the streets the day and night before really upset us. All of these marches are turning me into one in blurry, tired, anxious fatigued woman.

In addition, Amy Goodman, colleague, friend and host of DemocracyNow, and her staff were attacked. Civil liberties have been shat upon. Is it no wonder than I'm a little cantankerous today.

So Carlos and I head out to the Poor People's March on the RNC. (more information here - http://nyc.indymedia.org/en/2008/09/99688.html). It's hard to park in St. Paul due to all of these events. We manage to find a spot about a block away from the start of the march.


Michael McPherson honors us by carrying the US flag.
Mothers, children, memorial to the fallen, Carlos and I lead this march as well...
All went well for this march. However, we left in the nick-of-time since the rent-a-cops pepper sprayed the crowds when they would not disburse in a "timely" manner. Little kidz were pepper sprayed. Sick stuff!
As stated earlier, check out http://nyc.indymedia.org/en/2008/09/99688.html for further information on the realities of RNC repression.

No comments: