8.30.2008

08.29.2008...

Peace is hard work...

08.29.08
We are now here in Minneapolis-St.Paul, at the VFP convention at the Ramada Inn, where we're staying. Uniformed police have been outside and were inside, walking around in the halls. The RNC have set up a hospitality table in the lobby of this hotel. Michael McPherson (ED for VFP) explained that we were peaceful/nonviolent.

The police raided the convergence center in St Paul (where activists gather to organize actions, have lunch, etc.) and kicked everyone out & seized their equipment, computers, etc. They had a search warrant, and have also searched activist's homes. Out of town activists with bumper stickers on their cars have been stopped repeatedly.

Carlos and I set up memorials outside of the hotel where we are staying and in the convention site. We held a workshop on "Lessons on organizing by a Gold Star Family". About a dozen people attended. I attended workshop on Just War that was awesome.

Camp Casey crew from Crawford include Ann Wright, Leslie Harris, Tammara Rosenfeld, Erik Lobo and us.

Saw Camilo briefly. He's busy with his IVAW work. Saw Adam, Liam, Carlos Harris, and met a few more IVAW who served with Alex in Iraq. In total, we now know six young men who served with Alex who are IVAW members. There are rumors of a seventh young man who resides in NH. Everytime I see or meet another young man, I know it's Alex endorsing this work.

Kathy Smith is IN DA HOUZ! She is Tomas Young's Mommy. I've been having a great time getting to know her better in real life. We've been primarily virtual friends via email. Saw 'Body of War' last night and it was more fun being able to ask Kathy questions about this and that. Also, when we saw evil people on the screen anyone would yell out profanities. Sort of like Rocky Horror a la the wounds of war.

VFP and IVAW took up a collection for me to fly back to Boston. That way we can be involved in RNC activities. We have a homestay with a lovely Minnesotan family. I was reluctant because I want to see my friends Joyce and Chris on the way back and visit with Tomas in Chicago. However, I met a lady from Cincinatti VFP while I was waiting for lunch. (There are those coincidences again.) She and I going to arrange to have Carlos and me come back to the area to do some presentations. I am sure I will be visiting Joyce again in the near future...and her lovely familia...

No comments: