8.25.2008

Minneapolis or Bust - T minus 2

August 24, 2008 -

9:15 a.m. - Sara, Bonnie, Jessica, Arthur, Becky, Sammy and a whole parish of worshipers listened to to Carlos as humbly thanked God for having Alex in his life, for recuperating from the fire that almost killed him close to four years ago and for daily blessings.

I requested that the mass be dedicated to Alex to remember the four year anniversary of his death. Four years? It was yesterday, wasn't it? The mind jumps back and forth in time so frequently. Grief does this. I read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five where the main character would travel back and forth in time from World War II to the future and back again. For the reader, it gets confusing. That's what I feel over Alex's death. One second, I feel his warmth and hear his voice. The next second I recall that it's a memory and truly can't believe it.

1 p.m. - Carlos and I head out to Wendell, Massachusetts to a poultry farm owned by the Diemond family. Annie Diemond owns the farm with her siblings. Other gold star and military families will be there. My dogs are in my arms. Actually, Chica is lying around my neck. This relaxes me. Buddy is on my lap, then on the floor, then back again. Truly, my buddy is a Jack Russell - hyperactive personality.

3:15 p.m. - We have found a piece of paradise located in Western Massachusetts. Carlos yells out to Michael and Maureen Hearn who he spots first as we drive up to the Diemond farm. What eyes! I see people but can't make them out. The dogs are so happy to be in the country. Yep, despite barking, they are yearning to be off leash. It's ok with Annie. We try it. Oops a sheep! A chicken! Chica and Buddy go crazy and chase the animals! These dogs love to bark.

We meet other families. Carlos and I met a Mom who had her son die just this past March. She's in tears. That first year after the loss of a loved one is hell. Carlos and I lost a lot of weight and didn't sleep very much. The Mom and her husband brought pictures of her son a slide show. We share our pictures of Alex too. Soon another family shows up who has two family members currently in Iraq. We let them know that our nephew Randel is currently in Afghanistan as well.

Soon I find the kitchen. Boy, am I hungry! My mouth waters at all of the food. The roasted chicken (grown on the farm) is the best I've tasted ever!

After that Annie gives us a tour of the farm. What a place! Amazing. I could live out here for sure. I miss the earth in the city and my husband at heart is a country boy. The dogs would love to have so much land to roam.

Carlos tricks me and puts Chica and Buddy in the Fuhro's car. They are pulling away when I notice. Sarah, Bob and Kathleen will watch our dogs while we venture and roam throw the midwest on the way to the Veterans for Peace and Republican National Convention. I feel lost without my puppies all of a sudden. I watch Chica sitting in the back window as they drive away. Buddy could care less. He loves car rides.

7 p.m. - It's time to head back to Boston to start getting ready for our trip to Minneapolis. The drive is not long, but I sure miss my puppies.

No comments: